Last night I flew back from Miami, begrudgingly. Confronting the cold that people back in Maryland had been updating me on all weekend was low on my list of things I wanted to do, just a little higher up than leaving one of my best girlfriends and her three month old baby boy. But, sigh, it had to be done. Honestly, the cold didn't slap me in the face like I was expecting it to but the truth that I have come to, re-recognized over those four days in South Florida, is that I really dislike cold weather. It's quite possible that my beloved Maryland is just too damned cold for me in the winter. Warm weather just captures my heart with its breezes brushing my skin and the pretty dresses and cut-offs and strappy sandals and time spent laying in the sun and gold aviators and men with their shirts off (I need a whole other blog to talk about the men in Miami, by the way.) One of my most favorite things about warm weather is the beautiful simplicity of the food that accompanies it. Hearty, heavy dishes are nice now and again but something in my soul wakes up and dances when I eat fresh and light. The veggies, crunchy and raw or grilled, freshly made juices, creative salads. Even just a simple piece of buttered toast with a poached egg on top. When it comes to food, I think there is a sort of richness in austerity. (Of course, there is also richness in the mu shi take out I ate tonight. Deeply satisfying, finger licking richness, in fact, without which I could not live. But I digress.)
Miami has a reputation for being all about flashy fashion and overboard image consciousness. And for sure that's mostly accurate and well-earned (though I, as an outsider, see it more as a high regard for beauty) but there's also this Miami that is very edgy and organic in a way that seems very real to me instead of just being a false, gentrified, yippie (yuppie/hippie) way. Especially in the neighborhood of Coconut Grove, former bohemian haven now quite upscaled but still cool.
Glaser Farms has a raw farmers market there where I could eat my weight in delicious raw food every Saturday. On the way to the airport on Monday, my friend took me to eat at a little sandwich counter that's been around (at different locations) since the 70s called
The Last Carrot.

They have lots of vegan options (including deserts), simple and healthy sandwiches, and freshly made juice in any variety you could possibly desire. I had a salad with falafel, which they melted cheese on (never tried that before). I also had a nice tall cup of pineapple/cucumber/ginger juice and slice of amazing strawberry/raspberry vegan cake. Simply incredible. I highly recommend eating there if you ever find yourself in the Grove, looking for a healthy lunch.
No comments:
Post a Comment