Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Flourless Sweet Potato Waffle.

I feel like I've stumbled on something big here. First, let me admit that I didn't invent it. The inspiration came from a blog called Waffleizer (dedicated entirely to waffleing non-traditional things. I'm kind of smitten.) which I found on my beloved Tastespotting, as is often the case. They had a hash brown recipe made in a waffle iron, which is seriously genius. The picture featured hash browns with a sunny side up egg on top. A sunny side up egg - or poached egg, or even a soft boiled one - is a pretty sure-fire way to get my attention. So if you ever can't get in touch with me or I seem like I'm not paying attention, an egg with a runny yolk is your best bet. Anyway, I thought to myself "I have a waffle iron, what an amazing use for a waffle iron!" I'm a sucker for novelty, what can I say? Add to this the fact that I'm really striving for healthier eating (particularly to feed myself properly while training for the Nashville Marathon) and making shredded potatoes in a waffle iron is cause for jubilation. I'm watching the flour and sugar, basically, because they make my blood sugar and hunger level and mood go all wacko. No, I'm not quitting them. Just paying attention and finding ways to do something better, which generally turns out to be more flavorful and enjoyable to cook anyway so it works out.

This morning, I was still thinking about those waffle hash browns with the egg on top and realized I had a sweet potato in the fridge. It was kind of a big one, so I cut it in half and shredded it into a bowl so that I had about 3/4 cup of shredded sweet potato. To this, I added an egg and beat it in. I was thinking that would help it hold together better and it did. Other than that, I added a little salt and pepper, spread it on the waffle iron, closed the lid and waited about 5-7 minutes (I think?). The result was seriously amazing. Because the potato was shredded, it softened enough to sort of all meld together and not be all that different from a regular old waffle, including the crispy outside that regular waffles get, and I imagine that adding a little oil or just leaving it in there longer would make that even more pronounced. I think that if I didn't add egg, it would be more like a hash brown and less like a waffle, which would be cool. Like I said the sweetness of the potatoes also came through well. Naturally sweetened foods always have more complex flavor, while refined sugar seems to run a shock and awe campaign on my taste buds so I can't really taste much besides sweet. Plus, lest I forget, it's shaped like a waffle!!! That's so fun!! I shall have it for breakfast again tomorrow, that's for sure.

Just a few thoughts for future adventures in waffle iron meets root vegetable land:

- The sweetness of the sweet potatoes would be great with some maple syrup or honey or agave and cinnamon/ginger/nutmeg type spices thrown in.
- A more savory version could look like very finely chopped onions, sauteed in a pan, and other herbs (rosemary comes to mind) thrown in there.
- This is a great option for people who are gluten free or try to avoid flour. It's basically a whole food waffle - that is really great in my book. To make it vegan, you probably just need some egg replacer. I'll try it soon to see.
- Waffles are not just for breakfast and there are many ways in which this could be served with meat or beans and turned into a dinner.
- Fat free greek yogurt on top. Heck yeah.
- I'm thinking that any root vegetable and probably most types of winter squash would work just as well with this. Here are some variations I have in mind:
  • Beets with apple cider vinegar added.
  • Plain 'ol white potatoes - red skinned Yukon gold, whatever - which get a much worse rap than they deserve. The things still have fiber that processed flours don't, ya know. It would be a great way to make potato pancakes without flour and without frying them in oil.
  • Purple potatoes with pureed carmelized onion and herbs.
  • Butternut squash (peeled before shredding) with maple syrup and cinnamon. Could add shredded apple to this one as well. Savory spices would work too. I am now drooling.
  • Any combo of root veggies (beets, potatoes, parsnips, carrots, turnips) and/or winter squash (acorn, butternut, pumpkin - just make sure you peel these) with the option of one of the many varieties of apples for some sweetness.
  • Ooh and what about drained crushed pineapple in one of the hardier savory verisons?
  • Add toasted nuts for crunch, bits of dried fruit or oats for chewiness, candied bacon for intrigue, chocolate for, um, chocolate.
  • Which leads into a whole realm of desert-like options and then makes me wonder about pureed vegetables instead of shredded ones?! Whew!
Ok, that was intense. I think I need to take a shower. One thing about this that isn't so great is that not everyone has a waffle iron. Unlike some kitchen appliances (i.e. juicer) that I have gotten and then resented as I moved it from place to place but used it like once a year, I am really sure that a waffle iron is a good investment. I mean, mine was given to me so maybe I'm not qualified to say that. But I bet you can get a cheap one at Target or even eBay. (FYI, My pots and pans came from eBay back in 2004 and they have served me super well so don't be afraid to buy kitchen stuff from there.) In the meantime, I think that spreading these on a cookie sheet and baking in a 400 oven may give you a similar effect. Okie dokes, enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. whaaaaaaaaaa t the fuuuuuhhhg?? this is brilliant! brilliant!

    and i LOVE dippy eggs, too. did you know that?

    and, your voice is changing. stronger, more certain. i like it very much.

    love.

    ReplyDelete