Saturday, January 30, 2010

Tater-tot waffle, will you marry me?

Hey, so it's a good thing I made that food for myself last week because moving was every bit as insane as I thought it would be. The problem now is that I'm all moved and didn't get to go to the store for groceries because we got slammed with a foot and a half of snow yesterday and I am snowed the heck in. Therefore, I am eating a like a frat boy. The food I actually got moved over with me includes various frozen foods like fish, a goose, some blueberries, homemade chicken stock, and tater-tots; some eggs, a carton of egg whites, applesauce, prune juice, oatmeal, coffee, condiments, various dried beans, one can of diced tomatoes, and all of my spices and cooking liquids - olive oil, agave, vinegar. At this point the applesauce is gone as are the blueberries and the can of diced tomatoes. I made some simple stuff like oatmeal with blueberries, red lentils and quinoa with tomatoes. As the food is dwindling, though, I am relying more and more on my bag of tater-tots and it is almost gone. (Side note, all-wheel drive vehicles are only useful in snow if you keep the tires up to date. My two front ones are bald and that's the real reason I'm stuck.) For my post-snow shoveling session meal, I put four tater-tots in a bowl with the rest of the diced tomatoes, some egg whites, cumin, salt, and pepper and it was plain yummy. And really not bad in the nutrition department, I might add. However, the star of the snowed-in cooking show so far has to be the tater-tot waffle.
As I mentioned before, I am now in love with my waffle iron and only beginning to discover what it is capable of. Yesterday when I got home from work, I was bone tired and there was already about an inch of snow on the ground. All I wanted was to eat something satisfying and take a long nap. Below is what I came up with and it was seriously one of the best things I have ever eaten in my life. I will say it again, IN MY LIFE. And I eat a lot so that's sayin' something.

Tater-Tot Waffle

For 1 waffle:
8 or so frozen tater-tots
2 T egg whites
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper

Defrost the tots in a microwave if you have one. Otherwise, I'd maybe just stick them in a bowl over a pot of boiling water. Just get them soft.

Mush them with a fork in a bowl and add the egg white, salt, and pepper. Stir to incorporate.

Spread to about 1/4 inch thickness on a preheated waffle iron and close the lid.

I think that I left them in for about five minutes and they came out perfectly crispy, golden brown on the outside and mushy on the inside. If I'd been less tired, it would have been impossible to resist making another.

Let's hope I can get to the store and buy some vegetables soon, though folks. The Nashville marathon is going to be a pipe dream if I keep eating like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment